Weddings can be immensely fun! With this momentous occasion comes many other reasons to celebrate and a fabulous way to show a bride-to-be how much you care is to shower her with...a shower! All of our bridal and baby shower invitations are on sale right now, so my mind started wandering to the endless amounts of themes out there. A few weeks ago, I blogged about Around the House showers, which are oh-so-fun and very practical for newlyweds, but then I got to thinking about the maybe not-so-practical, but still very amusing themes. My favorite idea for summer (and really for all seasons) is a Destination Travel Themed Bridal Shower!
Whether you theme it towards the bride and groom's honeymoon destination or towards the city they first met, these bridal showers can be chock-full of worldly creativity. Start with a boarding pass save the date or invitation like Jet Setter or one that is unique to your locale (like this Destination Hawaii invite). This will cue your guests that it's a themed party so make sure they dress the part! Or provide fun accessories for guests to wear such as berets if you're journeying to Paris or funky beaded jewelry for an African soiree.
There are endless amounts of ways to theme your travel themed party-space.
- For centerpieces, find vintage or brightly-colored suitcases and fill them with seasonal flowers and travel-themed knick-knacks, such as passports, flags, or landmark replicas or prints
- Use maps as place mats and table runners
- Personalize each guest's spot at the table with their own airline ticket or luggage tag
- Take artistic Polaroids at the beach, wine country, or in the snow and hang them clothes-line style for your own unique banners
- Drop paper lanterns, globes, or parasols from the ceiling
- Serve hors d'oeuvres that are flavored towards your destination on these adorable Crate and Barrel travel plates (these would also make a fabulous gift for the bride and groom!)
- Provide post-cards for guests to write their well-wishes on. For another creative activity, provide photos of the bride and groom on trips and gather any other sightseeing scraps you can think of to have crafty guests create these travelogue scrapbooks. Leave blank pages for the couple to fill in honeymoon photos and future trips.
And remember, guests might need hints as to what to gift the couple. We suggest digital videos and camcorders, bathing suits, sunscreen, books and magazines, journals, luggage/backpacks, and iPods. Some couples have honeymoon registries where you can contribute to an excursion that they'd like to take while vacationing. The possibilities are endless, and these types of items can sometimes be after-thoughts for a couple while they are stressfully planning their nuptials. Help pack their bags as they embark on their journey!
Where will you be honeymooning? Leave your thoughts below! And don't forget to shop our Shower Sale!